Think you know everything there is to know about the 4th of July? Quiz yourself to see how knowledgeable you really are. Check the bottom to find out which 4th of July character you are!
– Nora Lo Nigro – best summer intern ever!
1. The tune of the National Anthem was based off of an English Pub song – “to Anacreon in Heaven”. (Yeah, they had me at “pub song”)
2. Americans spend a total of $6.7 billion on food around the 4th of July. That averages out to approximately $73 per person. (We’re all a bunch of pigs!)
3. More beer is sold on and around the 4th than any other time of the year!
4. 3 U.S. presidents have died on the 4th – John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe.
5. Thomas Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence on a “laptop” – a writing desk which fit on one’s lap. (Some days that’s the only laptop I can handle!)
6. Only 2 out of the 56 who signed the declaration actually signed on July 4th – the rest signed by August 2nd.
7. Other countries – such as Denmark, England, Norway, Portugal, and Sweden – also celebrate the 4th of July to attract American tourists. (Good to know England isn’t mad anymore!)
8. There have been 27 different official U.S. flags. (We sure are indecisive!)
9. A sparkler burns at 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit – around the same as an acetylene torch. (Be careful! Don’t try to put it out with your tongue!)
10. Nearly 150 million hot dogs are consumed on the 4th of July. (minus 1 because Tena doesn’t eat meat!)
How did you score??
All 10: Congratulations, you are Ben Franklin! Arguably the most brilliant man of his time… or any time.
8-9: Hello Betsy Ross! No one knows whether the story of her flag contribution is real or a family lore – the same can be said for your score!
5-7: You’re George Washington. Clearly you didn’t tell a lie, or you would have said you knew them all!
1-4: Well, well, well, Benedict Arnold. Maybe we should have asked British questions on this!
0: You’re King George III. You lost it all.
Happy 4th of July!